1. Magic Tree House- The Knight at Dawn by: Mary Pope Osborne was our first read aloud of the year. I thought since the theme of my classroom was "Clark's Castle" and Kingdom-ish, it would be appropriate. The kids loved it and got so into it. The Magic Tree House books are about this brother and sister (Jack and Annie) who find a tree house in the woods by their home. This tree house is filled with books. When you open a book and say "I'd like to go there or I'd like to see that" it takes you to that place.
2. Junie B. First grader, At Last! By: Barbara Park. Junie B. is hilarious. She speaks her mind and blurts out funny stuff before thinking about it.
3. Jigsaw Jones and the Case of the Missing Hamster by: James Preller. Jigsaw Jones is the town's own 2nd grade private eye. The kids loved the this mystery! These books are great because they are really written in their language and quirky!
4. The Boxcar Children By Gertrude Chandler Warner. I loved hearing these books when I was a little girl in school and my students love them as well! The adventures of Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny are always exciting.
5. Junie B. Toothless Wonder By Barbara Park. It never fails that an outbreak of loose teeth will occur in first grade. We keep a tooth chart in our classroom and last year we had 16 teeth lost in the month of October. It was so crazy! So of course, this book is most appropriate and will be used every year in my classroom!
6. Magic Tree House Thanksgiving on Thursday By: Mary Pope Osborne. We read this book in November, obviously :) Another great read!
7. Junie B., Jingle Bells, Batman Smells and P.S. So does May. By: Barbara Park. See how we are stuck on Junie B....But she is hysterically funny and the kids get sucked in, so if they enjoy it, I enjoy it! Most of these books, I've never read before, so when I'm reading them, sometimes I stop and think "Did she really just say that?" or I crack myself up, when the kids are suppose to be the ones laughing!
8. Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentine. By: Barbara Park. The kids absolutely loved this one. Oh the "Valentimes". You can never get enough of that sassy pants, Junie B.
Stay tuned for part two of Fabulous First Grade Read Alouds!